Saturday 5 April 2014

Mothers Day, Home Comforts and Cocktails!

So last weekend was of course Mother's Day! (I hope you all remembered!) and it was the first time I had been home in a few weeks, so was very excited to see my family and eat lots of food! 

I didn't get back home until quite late on the Friday night due to being at rehearsals for a small play I am directing... more info soon! So by the time I got home I was very ready for bed. Me and my family decided to order Chinese and it went down very very well, we tucked into it, watched a family film and went to bed!

Saturday we woke up nice and early - my brother went off to play football and me and my mom went for a bit of girly shopping. I bought some new black jeans - which are so comfy!

I rushed back home and started getting ready for the evening as I was meeting an old school friend Lizzie who I have known since I was about 7. We both went to university at the same time, so when we find we are both back home at the same time, we never miss the oppotunity to have a catch up and some drinks. We decided to head to a bar in the middle of town called The Dial.Its a great resturant and bar with a roof terrance upstairs and its lovely to sit up there in the summer with a glass of wine and snacks. We went for their huge range of cocktails they have so so many, with a wide range of different flavors! 

The first one I went for was the Amaretto Sour. It was something I have had before at bars in Sheffield but wanted something which I knew I love to start me off. Here is the ingredients if you want to make it yourself!

Amaretto, sugar, fresh lemon juice all shaken hard & served over crushed ice


It was served in this cool zomie style glass, which I love! 


Lizzie went for something a bit more classic and had a Long Island Iced Tea. It was so nice she had a second one! The glass is more simple, but still really classic!

Again here is the recipe! 

Sauza tequila, Brugal rum, Tanqueray gin, Belvedere vodka & Bols triple sec shaken with sugar & fresh lime juice, topped with cola



Next I wanted something a little different that had lots of flavors that I love. So went for the Salted Karamel Latte Martini. I love the taste of salted caramel and I am a massive fan of Coffee! It was delicious, the salted caramel came in at the end and gave a great kick to it. It was served in this really nice Martini Glass with coffee beans on top. 



Stolichnaya Salted Karamel vodka, shaken with fresh illy espresso, Bols Chocolate & ice cold milk

Lizzie went for another classic of a Cosmopolitan, which she thought tasted really good and I love the little twist on Lemon peel on the top!


Belvedere vodka & Cointreau shaken with fresh lime, sugar & cranberry juice


We spent the whole night talking about uni and catching up on everything since this last time we saw each other and before we knew it we were being asked to leave because the bar was closing! Lizzie and I decided that the night was certainly not over and headed into the middle of town and spent the rest of the night dancing away with drinks until 4 in the morning (I can definitely say I woke up with a very sore head the next morning!). 






A couple of photo's of me & Lizzie - there really bad quality - sorry! 

The next morning me, my step-dad and brother got up early (well not that early after the night before!) and decided to make my mom breakfast in bed. We prepared bagels, scrambled eggs with smoked Salmon on top served with a bowel of strawberries, she thought it was great and we even got to have a bite too!









The next morning me, my step-dad and brother got up early (well not that early after the night before!) and decided to make my mom breakfast in bed. We prepared bagels, scrambled eggs with smoked Salmon on top served with a bowel of strawberries, she thought it was great and we even got to have a bite too!


After a spot of shopping we headed to a restaurant called 'The Brewery Tap' . It's on the site of the brewery which the town is built upon and therefore has a lot of history surrounding it. We hadn't been there for years, so we wanted to see what it was like now. For starter I had salmon flakes served with salad, horseradish cream and dill. My mom and Step-Dad went for a goats cheese tart with a balsamic dressing. All of us then had the carvery which had a choice of either pork or Beef, served with roast potato, honey roasted parsnips, carrot and swede mash, red cabbage and so much more! It was all topped off with the best gravy I think I have ever had, it was really meaty and they had used some of the beer from the brewery next door to add some great extra flavors.  
My Salmon Salad

Goats Cheese Tart 
We spent the rest of the afternoon on the sofa watching films before packing ready to leave the next morning. I had a great weekend spending it with family and catching up with friends.

What did you guys get up to?

"The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege"
Charles Kuralt

No comments:

Post a Comment